March 4, 2017
Paul and Justin return with the first post-All-Star Break/trade deadline edition of the For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast. We have seen some significant changes since the Suns returned to action, and those changes have ignited a new sense of excitement in Paul and Justin. This week, the guys discuss:
- The trade of P.J. Tucker and the "blockbuster" trade with an Eastern Conference time that didn't (and shouldn't) happen.
- Some common misconceptions about the NBA salary floor and why the Suns traded for Mike Scott to hit that floor.
- The increase in playing time for Tyler Ulis, Alan Williams, and Derrick Jones, Jr.
- Why Alan Williams' strong play may make the Alex Len decision easier.
- How the Suns are suddenly becoming an exicitng and fun team to watch.
The guys think the future is looking brighter than ever. Let's hope they're right. Tweet at Paul (@DervishOfWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ) or share your thoughts and comments below.
February 22, 2017
We have a Trade Deadline Special Edition of the For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast this week. First off, Paul and Justin chime in with their thoughts as to what happened (and didn't happen) in relation to DeMarcus Cousins, why Boogie is not wearing purple and orange, and whether the Suns should have pushed harder to get him.
In addition, the Bright Side of the Sun readers spoke, and the guys listened. They break down a bunch of the trades that you readers suggested, including trades where the Suns would get one of the following guys:
- Andrew Wiggins;
- Jimmy Butler;
- Paul George; and
- Derrick Favors.
While we are all still waiting to see what the Suns do or don't do before the trade deadline, you can bet that the first post-deadline For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast will discuss what moves happen (or don't happen).
February 10, 2017
Paul (@DervishOfWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ) check in this week to discuss all the happenings in the world of the Phoenix Suns, including:
- Where they stand on Robert Sarver as an owner.
- Whether Phoenix could be the right situation for DeMarcus Cousins.
- What they'd give up to get Cousins and how acquiring him could change the trajectroy of the franchise.
- How they think the Suns' representatives will fare over All-Star Weekend.
Also, with All-Star Weekend approaching, the next For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast will include a mailbag session. So, keep an eye out on Bright Side of the Sun for a post where you can ask Paul and Justin to answer your questions regarding the Phoenix Suns' past, present, and future.
January 28, 2017
On this week's edition of Bright Side of the Sun's For the Fans, by the Fan's Podcast, Paul (@DervishOfWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ) disuss all things Phoenix Suns, including:
- The improved play of the Suns over the past month and why it's happening.
- Is the signing of Ronnie Price the precurser of a trade?
- Which member of the team is most likely to be traded before the trade deadline? Tucker? Chandler? Knight?
- Is it even worth trading Tucker or Chandler, or are their values as members of the Suns greater than what the Suns would get in return?
- As crazy as it sounds, could Eric Bledsoe's outstanding play of late, combined with a potentially epic crop of point guards in the 2017 Draft, actually bring him into trade discussions?
Let the guys know what you think on Twitter or in the comment section below.
January 21, 2017
Paul and Justin are joined this week by Adam Spinella from www.bballbreakdown.com. Adam recently wrote an article breaking down the current status of the Suns' rebuild and the long term outlook for the team. It's a great read and you can check it out here: http://bballbreakdown.com/2017/01/09/the-coaching-spin-checking-on-the-suns-rebuild-in-phoenix/. Listen in as Adam and the guys discuss, among other things:
- where Earl Watson is taking the team;
- the development of the Suns' rookies;
- what needs to be done to improve the efficiency of the Suns' offense and defense; and
- what moves may shape the look of the Suns' roster for the years to come.
Check out Adam's other work over at www.bballbreakdown.com and follow him on Twitter @Spinella14. And, of course, leave any comments below or hit up Paul (@DervishOfWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ) on Twitter.
January 15, 2017
Devin Booker’s play has improved greatly as of late, and everyone’s two favorite Suns fans have taken notice. In fact Justin not only takes notice, he takes credit for it! (I’m not kidding, he actually takes credit for it.) Nonetheless, does that mean Justin is no longer at DEFCON 3 in relation to Booker? Find out in this week’s episode of Bright Side of the Sun’s For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast.
In addition, the guys chime in about NBA trade season. Among other things, they discuss:
- the trade fashioned by our own Kellan Olson, which would see Nerlens Noel end up in a Suns’ uniform.
- how such a move would affect the Suns’ draft strategy this year (and, as an aside, whether Paul first associates the name “Josh Jackson” with the Kansas Jayhawks small forward or Pacey from Dawson’s Creek).
- whether the Suns should have drafted Noel in 2013 in the first place.
Share your thoughts with Paul (@DervishOfWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ) on Twitter or in the comment section below. And stay tuned next week for a potential surprise from the guys!
January 1, 2017
Happy New Year to Bright Side of the Sun Nation from everyone's two favorite Suns fans, Paul (@DervishOfWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ)! Celebrate the New Year with the guys as they bring us a heated episode of Bright Side of the Sun's For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast. This week's topics include:
- The biggest villains in Suns' history (spoiler alert: Justin does not like David Stern... at all).
- Isaiah Thomas has been putting up huge numbers, but the guys are still fine with him not being a Phoenix Sun.
- A sprited (and some may even say "combative") debate as to whether Earl Watson's offense is pooly designed (as Paul says) or a work in progress (as Justin says).
- Dragan Bender gets some significant minutes. Paul thinks it is a sign of the Suns recognizing that their good faith effort to make the playoffs is not going to be successful. Justin thinks it is just a step forward in Coach Watson's effort to bring Bender along slowly, that Bender's minutes will continue to fluctuate, and that Suns fans need to chill.
- There may be another friendly wager between the guys on the horizon related to whether or not Eric Bledsoe will be an All-Star... stay tuned!
Leave the guys your comments or questions below or give them a shout on Twitter.
December 17, 2016
Paul and Justin return from a two-week hiatus and bring you their perspective on the latest and greatest related to your Phoenix Suns. This week, the guys discuss:
- What they took away from the Q&A session with Suns' GM Ryan McDonough at Bright Side Night (big thanks to all of you who helped us meet our goal).
- What the recent great play of Eric Bledsoe and Tyson Chandler means for the Suns.
- Why Justin is at DEFCON 3 in relation to Devin Booker's recent shooting woes.
Give Paul (@DervishofWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ) a follow or hit them up on Twitter, or leave your thoughts and comments below.
December 4, 2016
In this week's episode of Bright Side of the Sun's For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast, Paul and Justin:
- Discuss the potential "super team" consisting of Eric Bledsoe, John Wall, and Demarcus Cousins.
- Share their biggest surprises and biggest disappointments for the Suns first full month of the season.
- Predict how the Suns will fare during their brutal December schedule.
On top of that, Justin throws out his top 5 favorite Suns of all time and Pat Burke (remember him?) gets a shout out from the guys.
Hit the guys up on Twitter (@DervishofWhirl and @SoSaysJ), and the guys hope to see everyone next Sunday for Bright Side Night.
November 26, 2016
Now that you've made it through Thanksgiving and Black Friday, spend some time with everyone's favorite Suns fans as Paul (@DervishOfWhirl) and Justin (@SoSaysJ) check in with the latest edition of Bright Side of the Sun's For the Fans, by the Fans Podcast. This week's Podcast includes:
- The guys debating whether Earl Watson should be playing the rookies more.
- In light of Tom Thibodeau apparently growing impatient with his youthful roster, Paul turning into Mr. NBA Trade Machine and the guys discussing trade ideas between the Suns and the T'Wolves.
- Paul and Justin exploring the three-point shooting woes of the backcourt, the source of those woes, and what it means for the Suns.
Comments, questions, ideas? Hit the guys up on Twitter or leave your comments below.